As one of the United States’ most global universities, the University at Buffalo is home to more than 5,000 students from 110 countries. Buffalo is an affordable, friendly city with world-class learning and research opportunities.
Apply online to the PhD program. The application is fast, easy and secure. A $50 non-refundable fee is required.
December 15 is the application deadline. All materials must be submitted to the online application system by that date.
The online application is open mid-April through mid-December. Decisions are emailed to applicants by March 1.
PhD students start their program at the end of August each Fall semester. Students cannot beigin a PhD program in the Spring semester.
Before you submit your online application, ensure that you have all of these supplemental materials ready. All application materials must be submitted online.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Personal statement. Include a personal statement about why you want to enroll in the program and the specific area within the broad discipline of rehabilitation science that interests you most.
- Research statement. Include a research statement that describes your research experience and your plan for research within the program. In this Research Statement, you must also include your preference for faculty research mentor, with a statement of your mutual research interests and rationale for this decision. This is a mentor-match application process – any student admitted to the program must have a faculty mentor who has reviewed their qualifications and is interested in them being a part of their lab research for the duration of their PhD program.
- Three (3) professional recommendation letters from individuals who have worked closely with you and have considerable knowledge of your academic and/or research performance.
- Academic transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities must be uploaded into the application system. In addition, request that your official transcripts from each college or university you have attended are sent to the department:
- University at Buffalo, Rehabilitation Science Department, 501 Kimball Tower, Buffalo, NY 14215.
- Waived for 2020-2022 application cycles. GRE scores.
- International applicants have additional required materials as outlined in the separate section below.
In addition to the supplemental materials listed on this page, international applicants must:
- Submit a copy of your biographical page (with picture) from your passport.
- Request that your TOEFL scores are sent to the department.
When requesting your TOEFL scores, use these reporting codes: School 2925; Department 44.
- Submit a WES transcript which converts your current international transcripts to grades comparable with the U.S. system of grading.
- J1 and F1 students must complete the International Applicant Financial Form and provide an original, official bank statement documenting at least $42,452 in U.S. funds dated within one year of the date of enrollment.