Frequently Asked Questions

I am interested in epidemiology, but which degree is best for me?

If you have a growing interest in epidemiologic research and strong quantitative skills, consider the MS degree. Graduates often work in analysis of health-related data and many choose to pursue a PhD in epidemiology.

If you are interested in applying epidemiologic principles to public health practice, environmental health sciences or health services administration, the MPH degree may be the best choice for you.

If you already hold a master’s degree and would like to direct epidemiologic research, apply to the PhD program.

What can I do with a MS degree in epidemiology?

As a graduate, you could work in academic settings, health departments, medical centers and hospitals, clinical practices or private corporations. Learn more about how our alumni are using their degrees.

How long does the MS program take?

Typically, the program takes two years.

Is financial assistance available for this program?

Both the School of Public Health and Health Professions and the university offer fellowship, scholarship and award opportunities to qualified students. Additionally, UB’s Office of Financial Aid can help you navigate the process of applying for and managing your aid.